We brained stormed some drive wheel configurations, and our prototype showed that the large wheels were going to be problematic. So we went with roller blade wheels with direct drive R/C motors.
The prototype showed us that the base needed to be a bit more streamlined, and it occurred to me that a chair base with built in swivel wheels should work.
I suggested to Boy #1 that we build a prototype. This would allow us to see the dimensions and design of the robot prior to investing in any real robot parts. PVC and Cardboard did the trick:
My oldest boy came to me and said: “Dad, I’ve got a great idea. Let’s build a robot!”
So we got started. Step one was to draw up some plans