I like showing my kids that we can build fun stuff with what we have on hand. So while we had to purchase most of the items (everything except for the frame sadly), we could still build the frame out of items we had on hand, or easily obtainable from the local hardware store.
As crazy is it may sound, I just happened to have two carbon fiber rods, these were left over from my triathlon days (A carbon fiber aerobar set that I installed on my tri-bike came with both curved and straight bars. I used the curved bars on the bike and the straight ones ended up in my collection of robot/maker parts). They were the right size for what I had in mind and would require no cutting.
The main fuselage then became a left over section of 1.5″ PVC tubing (painted black of course). The arms were simply wedged through holes drilled in the fuselage secured with red vinyl tape. The idea is that the pieces would be allowed to flex during a hard crash and there wouldn’t be any screws, or glue to cause unnecessary damage (bend, don’t break).
To mount the motors, we used pipe anchors. They are placed over more tape, which holds nice and snug.
Word of caution! We received two sets of screws with our motors for mounting. DON’T USE THE LONG SCREWS unless you absolutely have to. There is no stop to prevent the screws from touching the coils inside the motor. So if you crank down on them, chances are you’re cranking right through the motor and you’ll have to replace it. That was an expensive lesson for us!
The motors are three wire (brushless motors which require their own speed controller) and to make swapping of components easier are fitted with bullet connectors. To solder the connectors on we created a jig. If you have to do more than one motor it’s worth the effort!